Thursday, September 8

What Facebook Is / Does/ Isn't/ Doesn't

I signed into my blog so that I could write a post about how incredibly worn down I am from school. Then I realized that that topic was pretty much exhausted on my very first day of school, and no dead horse needs any such beating.
Instead, let's talk about Facebook.
No, I'm not going to play the whole game of "Omg, I h8 my facebook pg. i tink I mite duleet it." Those statements never go much farther than that (And believe me, I've been guilty of this). For all the amount of complaining facebook gets about how it dominates people's lives, and for all of the Omg'd threats of possibly deleting it, here it remains as one of the most influential parts of our lives.

Aldous Huxley predicted that in our time, something like this might happen. Communication being so easy, and entertainment being so readily available, some of us could hardly imagine a life without it. And some of us (me included) would wish for some time away from it, but can never get it, because we are, sadly, dominated by it. You might refute me. Okay, but just know that by refuting me, you are proving that you're reading this blog, which you probably found out about through facebook, as I posted a link on my Wall, which you saw as you were making your daily browse through facebook, right underneath the relationship status of that one girl you knew from highschool and never really talked to, and right above that youtube link of Mumford and Sons- Little Lion Man, from that guy who is always a bit behind the times and is quite unaware of it. So maybe this doesn't prove that we're dominated by facebook. But it does prove that it is, at least, a big part of our lives. And I'm not so sure if this is a good thing, or bad. I'm definitely not one to make that call.

What bothers me most about sites like facebook is how incredibly self-centered they can make us. Status updates--- usually about ourselves, and occasionally someone else. Yet all the while our heart jumps when somebody "Likes" it. Somebody read my status AND liked it??? Omg....

There are countless other examples that I really don't want to get into, because I'll make myself out to be some pompous pompy-pants who doesn't have much else to do but complain about facebook. Which I DO!

I also want to say that I'm sure there are up sides to facebook. Again, I'm MUCH to busy to go there.

In fact, I'm much to busy for anything and everything. Too, tooo busy...

And now I shall go check my facebook.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive