Tuesday, February 19

Reasons to be Pretty



Today I performed a monologue in front of my class and it didn't go too well. It's from the play Reasons to be Pretty. Pretty much, the character I'm playing is the opposite of me. His name is Kent. He is married and works at a factory, and he is thirty years old. He's just kind of a dirtbag, honestly, who cheats on his wife. And the monologue is about how he hates having such an attractive wife, because he's paranoid about other guys looking at her, or her cheating on him. He's really territorial. The crazy part about all of this acting business is that I'm supposed to like Kent. Usually people like, or at least, agree with themselves. If I am to be taking on the personage of "self" to Kent, well, I'll have to like me, too... So this will be a very strange exercise for me, to try to get into the head of somebody I've never been, like, or agree with. Wow. Acting. Crazy, huh? And the play is a good read in general, if you don't mind a lot of language and couples fighting and break ups and things. Oh, and I changed my header on this here website blog thingy that I do. Now, that strange, open-eyed stare will greet you every time you load this page. You're welcome.  

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive