Saturday, January 1

In June

Listen to this while you read:









When I was in high school, I didn't mind the new year. The only thing I never liked was when I had to write the dates on the top right corner of my homework assignments. Oh, the frustration when I had to erase one number, from 2008 into 2009, and then accidentally erasing part of my name so that it became Isaac Middlesmudge.


I want to do music my whole life and nothing else.

Tonight, I was laboring over a song and I hit a rough point. Nothing was coming together and it just sounded awful. My harmonies were always flat and my pronunciation was just boring. I was fed up with the whole thing that I just shut my computer and sat, staring at a wall. I guess you could call that pouting. But it was then that I realized: my music isn't striking. It's noob music. It's home-grown, imperfect music. Sure, it's significant to me, because I make it. It's significant to my friends because of just that, I'm their friend. However, to the world at large? My music is the music that someone would accidentally find and pass over because it simply isn't striking enough. My voice isn't clean. My guitar picking is ambiguous. My lyrics follow the same basic patterns, usually pointing out some flaw in the world or myself and woe-ing over it for a couple lines. I follow the verse-verse-chorus trend, and my pronunciation is generic while my tone is sometimes either flat or sharp or too bright or too mellow. As far as music quality, I give myself an honest C-. Below average. At the point I'm at right now, there honestly is no hope for me for a future in the music industry.

However.

I'm eighteen. I have zits (I don't know what that has to do with anything), I'm in college (it's such a distraction). I'm young and haven't been able to explore my full potential. Sure, the songs I make now may not be much. But they're a start. At least that's how I look at them. A start.
And I guess music isn't about being the next Jeremy Larson or Priscilla Ahn or Owl City or whoever. But music is sort of all I have. I see no future in English and I don't think I was meant for Musical Theater. The only place I feel at home is behind music. Call that a tragedy, if you must. But at least for now, I think I'm decided. I want music.

And I guess now would be an appropriate time to announce to the world:
I'm officially recording an album this June. At least that's the plan for now. Me and a good buddy o' mine (Evan van Kirk) who will produce me. Hopefully, we'll have a materialized musical product by the end of June. If nothing else, I have something to call my own that I'll be happy with. I think after that I'll make a pilgrimage down to San Diego and play on street corners and sell my cds to the masses. I have a couple ideas for songs. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive