Sunday, February 24

Sea of Relativism

It's nearing nine thirty, and the taste of second-rate coffee is in my mouth, which makes me more aware about how dirty my teeth feel after drinking it, more than anything. I hope no one wants to have any sort of intimate conversation later, because that conversation will smell a lot like bad second-rate coffee breath and dirty-feeling teeth. Yes, teeth have a smell.
Anyway,


I am sitting in the uppermost floor of the library on campus, looking over Bowling Green, discerning McDonalds signs from Arby's signs and wondering what music people are listening to while they drive down roads five miles per hour faster than what they should be going (Yet they look so slow from up here...)

I just finished studying for a Biology exam. Disaccharides and Lipids and Atomic mass and Atomic numbers and things like that. It's interesting.

I think the most interesting and important thing I have learned (or haven't learned...) from classes like Biology and Astronomy is that our perspective of size and space is only limited to just that-- our perspective.

We are trapped, in a sense, to a certain perspective. A building is large. An insect is small. These are our perspectives.

However, through science, we have been able to break free from our preconceptions about size, and we find that (like most things) size is relative.

Now, based on research, we know where we fit on the scale of Big and Small, and we have found that we (and everything in reality, for that matter) are both very Big and very Small.

I think that is a beautiful thing. I am very big. I'm ginormous. HUUUUUUUGE. I am bigger than a three year old.

That's something...

But I also am able to be big in personality, in confidence, in being alive. I can be a big person.
Yet, I am also mind-shatteringly small in the midst of the cosmos, which is something we all share.

I am overpoweringly everything. I am also nothing. This is the human experience.

 If we keep looking at the small world, we find that it just keeps getting smaller, the farther into it we look. Same goes for the Big world. Things just keep going and going and going. It's like there's no wall or barrier that says "nothing can be bigger than THIS big," because, when it comes down to it, what does "Big" mean? Dictionary definition: Of considerable size.

Of considerable size?

Small: Of a size that is less than normal, or usual.

...Yeah.

I guess this is to say, we as people are confined. Very confined. Because the words we use to describe the world we live in are unreliable.

Also, some people confine ourselves because they are afraid of the word Relativism. We assume that Relativism means that there is no truth in the world, that we can make truth, and as long as it is "true to me," it is true.
I'm not going to get into that. What I do want to say, however, is that the idea of things being Relative to each other and to itself is a valid, scientific idea. A person is big relative to a mushroom, which is huge compared to a Carbon molecule, which is bigger than a proton.
This is just another support to the idea that we need to stop holding so tightly to the idea of Absolute Truths about everything. If we cling to absolutism, we deprive ourselves of understanding, and that is a sad thing.

...
Or, I guess it could be happy thing, relative to who you are....

I'm lost in a sea of relativism.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I love you. I had the biggest (or smallest) surge of de ja vu reading that, It seemed very personal to me.

Followers

Blog Archive