Thursday, December 30

Top 10 Artists of 2010

I don't write this as an audacious claim to have some sort of higher knowledge of music than you do, or that only the bands I like are the ones worth listening to. Honestly, I'm writing this only because I saw that another blogger/musician that I follow made one and I, being the unoriginal wanna-be that I am, want to make one too. Is that so terribly wrong? It probably is. But that's how I write most of my songs, these days. I hear someone else materialize a concept for me that I would never have heard of otherwise. A melody going a certain way, guitar picking in a certain style, using instruments that aren't really instruments. And I make something new out of it. It may not be the most original way to live your life, but hey. As the good book says..... um.... well... you know. (I've been watching Fiddler On The Roof. Teehee!)

Oh! And real quick before I ramble on too much. I have a new song out! I wish I could post the audio file right here _______________ , but I can't. If you know how, tell me yo!
So, you'll have to settle with following this link: http://purevolume.com/somebodysomewhere
to download it. Mishap!
This song is a product of listening to too much of The Tallest Man On Earth . Click on his name to hear his beauty. His voice is raspy, but with a sort of noble, optimistic vibe. You feel me? And his guitar work (which is probably one of my biggest influences) is just magical. Do I sound too much like Disney?

Anyway... While I'm not really getting to the point of anything, I'll also share this.






























Sound familiar? No? It should.... following me yet? substitute his words with "Well, I am a sailor from the Pacific coast, sailing a boat out to sea." Hmmm? Yes?
Yeah.... honestly and truthfully, I probably never heard that song before I wrote Sailor Song. If I had, it was probably in my sleep. Hmmmm... I wonder.
Isn't that funny? I'm in trouble with copyright issues if I get famous. And that's the plan... getting famous.

And so! with much deliberation, I present to you my long, drawn out speech about My personal top ten artists of 2010.
Oh, also mind that when I say Artists of 2010, I don't mean Artists that have produced their album in the year of 2010. I'm not that legitimate with my musical background. I know. I'm cheating. And so my vote doesn't really count anyway. But seeing as only about four of you read what I say anyway (Hello, faithful four!), I shall make my own rules. So yeah. All I mean by this is that I've found out about these bands within this past year. A bit different, yes. But I'll try to stick within the 2010 zone as much as possible.

1. Jonsi                                  Go Do (22 March, 2010) 

2. Freelance Whales              Weathervanes (April 13, 2010)

3. Mumford and Sons            Sigh No More (February 16, 2010)

4. Jeremy Larson                   Salvation Club (December 23, 2008)

5. Priscilla Ahn                     A Good Day (June 10, 2008)

6. Yann Tiersen             Tabarly (June 6, 2008) To be fair, his new cd came out this October. It's     supposed  to be really experimental. I'm tempted to buy it right now, but just spent my monies on Priscilla Ahn's A Good Day (No. 5). It's called Dust Lane.

7. Mew                                 No More Stories Are Told Today (August 25, 2009)

8. Good Old War                  Only Way To Be Alone (November 4, 2008)

9. Editors                              An End Has A Start (June 25, 2007)

10. This is a tie. I know. Illegal play on the field. But I just can't decide. It's between The National's High Violet (May 11, 2010) and Ben Folds's Rockin' the Suburbs (September 11, 2001) (I'm such a late bloomer when it comes to Ben Folds).

And I think that represents my music tastes pretty thuroughly this year.
Thanks for reading.
Isaac

2 comments:

Kara said...

hey there isaac! i know my musical knowledge is preeetty limited..but i just had to say, i discovered priscilla ahn this year too and really like her sound!

Isaac Bradley Middleton said...

Isn't she incredible?
I had a crush on her until I found out she was married. Then I felt kind of dirty....
A Good Day is my favorite song today.

(Hi Kara!)

Followers

Blog Archive